4 IRGC Officers, On Saturday, an alleged Israeli strike on Damascus killed the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ intelligence chief for Syria, his deputy, and two other Guards personnel, according to Iranian media.
4 IRGC Officers, Including Syria Intel Chief, Killed in Damascus Strike
“The Revolutionary Guards’ Syria intelligence chief, his deputy, and two other Guards members were martyred in the attack on Syria by Israel,” Iran’s Mehr news agency claimed, citing an informed but anonymous source.
According to local accounts in Syria, the strike killed at least five people. An official with an Iran-backed Middle Eastern group told The Associated Press that the building was used by Revolutionary Guard officers, and that “Israeli missiles” destroyed it entirely.
Syria’s state media also attributed the incident to “an Israeli aggression.” A representative for the Palestinian Islamic Jihad confirmed that no members of the terror group were injured in the strike, despite rumors that some were present at the bombed-out structure.
Unsourced Hebrew and Arabic media reports initially claimed that PIJ deputy Akram al-Ajouri was also killed in the strike. The strike occurred in the Mazzeh neighborhood, a high-security zone that houses the United Nations headquarters and embassies.
A nearby grocer reported hearing five consecutive explosions at 10:15 a.m. and seeing the bodies of a man and a woman, as well as three wounded people, being taken away. “The shop shook. I stayed inside for a few seconds then went out and saw the smoke billowing from behind the mosque,” he said.
The purported Israeli strike occurred days after Iran launched missiles at what it claimed was Israeli “spy headquarters” in an upmarket suburb near the massive US Consulate property in Erbil, the capital of Iraq’s northern semi-autonomous Kurdish region.
Last month, senior IRGC officer Brig. Gen. Razi Mousavi was killed in an alleged Israeli airstrike in Damascus, prompting Iranian threats of retaliation.
Several claimed missions against Syrian targets have been carried out in recent weeks as part of Israel’s continuous efforts to prevent Iran from delivering arms to its proxy Hezbollah, which has increased attacks on northern Israel in recent months amid the ongoing Gaza conflict.
On Thursday night, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant told his American counterpart Lloyd Austin that Israel was close to making a decision on Lebanon and the fight with Iran-backed Hezbollah.
Lebanese authorities said Thursday that Hezbollah had rejected Washington’s initial proposal to end confrontations with Israel, including moving its fighters further away from the border, but remained open to US diplomacy to avert a disastrous conflict.
Gallant’s statements came after IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi made similar remarks earlier this week, stating that a battle in the north was becoming more plausible.
Since October 8, a day after the devastating Hamas strikes on southern Israel, Hezbollah has engaged in near-daily cross-border shelling, launching rockets, drones, and missiles at northern Israel in what it claims is a Hamas support campaign.
Most residents who lived several kilometers from the border were compelled to escape because of the attacks. Israel has replied with its regular strikes on Hezbollah targets, warning that it will not tolerate the militants’ ongoing presence on its border.
On October 7, the Iran-backed terror group Hamas launched a large attack in Israel, killing around 1,200 people and kidnapping 240, most of whom were civilians, in a series of horrifying acts of violence and sexual assault.
In response, Israel threatened to annihilate Hamas, initiating a massive military operation in Gaza to undermine the group’s military and governance capabilities.
Iran, which financially and militarily supports Hamas, lauded the catastrophic October 7 strikes as a “success” while denying any direct involvement.