Drone Attack on Syrian, Late Sunday, a drone attack on a Syrian base used by US troops killed at least six Kurdish fighters. The attack was the first in Iraq or Syria since the United States initiated retaliatory strikes on Iranian-backed militants following the deaths of three US military members in a drone strike in Jordan last month.
Drone Attack on Syrian Base Housing US Troops Kills Six Kurdish Fighters
The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), backed by the United States, said Sunday’s attack targeted a training area at the al-Omar facility in Syria’s eastern province of Deir el-Zour, according to the Associated Press. The Associated Press claimed that no US troops were killed in the incident.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella organization of Iranian-backed militias, claimed responsibility for the new attack in a video message. The same group claimed responsibility for the attack in Jordan late last month.
The SDF initially blamed “Syrian regime-backed mercenaries” for the attack on Sunday, but after an inquiry, they concluded that “Iran-backed militias” were involved.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based organization that monitors Syrian affairs, reported seven SDF personnel dead and at least 18 injured.
This attack comes as the White House warns Iran that if Iran-backed militias continue to attack, it will face more punishment. National security adviser Jake Sullivan appeared on morning TV shows on Sunday, saying that the recent US military attacks in Iraq and Syria are “not the end of it.”
“It started with strikes on Friday night, but that wasn’t the end of it. We intend to carry out additional attacks and actions to send a clear message that the United States will respond when our forces are attacked or individuals are killed,” Sullivan told NBC News anchor Kristen Welker on “Meet the Press.”
Separately, US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced late Sunday that US forces carried out a self-defense strike in Yemen against a Houthi land-attack cruise missile. According to CENTCOM, the US targeted four anti-ship cruise missiles that were prepared to launch on ships in the Red Sea.