In honor of Emeritus Professor Nicholas Tarling, the Nicholas Tarling Charitable Trust (“the Trust”) plans to donate money to Auckland University of Technology (AUT) in order to create the Nicholas Tarling Memorial PhD Scholarship in Southeast Asia Studies. He published a great deal on the history and culture of Southeast Asia as a specialist in the subject.
- Value of Award: $10,000
- Closing date: Applicants may apply at any time
- Tenure: The tenure is for one year only.
About the Scholarship
In order to advance knowledge and understanding and New Zealand’s interest in the field, the Scholarship will assist a student beginning or pursuing their Ph.D. at AUT on a topic focused on Southeast Asia and its people (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Viet Nam), especially but not exclusively its history.
Selection Criteria for Nicholas Tarling Memorial Phd Scholarship
- Southeast Asia and its people must be the primary focus of the proposed research (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Viet Nam).
- New applicants to the AUT Doctoral program who intend to enroll full-time will be given preference.
- Although international students may apply, priority will be given to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, particularly where their Ph.D. will benefit New Zealand.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission and have an offer of a spot in the AUT doctoral program.
- At the time of application, candidates must meet the English language proficiency standards outlined in the Academic Calendar.
- Applicants should have a strong academic record, credible academic recommendations, and have shown the ability to conduct excellent research.
- Previous recipients are eligible to reapply the following year. The proposed area of study by the applicant must be one in which the university can provide supervision. Before submitting an application, candidates should get in touch with potential supervisors to verify that they are available to oversee the proposed research.
Application Process Nicholas Tarling Memorial Phd Scholarship
By the deadline, applicants must submit the Nicholas Tarling Memorial Ph.D. Scholarship application online through the link on this page.
Applications will be accepted at any time of the year, with the exception of between the first and fifteenth of January. All sections of the application must be filled out, all supporting documents uploaded, and the necessary support statements must be requested in order for the application to be submitted.
Applications that are incomplete won’t be sent to the selection panel. The following must be uploaded to the online application form and submitted with it:
- Academic transcripts for any prior tertiary coursework that was finished at an institution other than AUT
- A succinct personal statement (no longer than one page) outlining the applicant’s reasons for applying to doctoral programs and their interest in Southeast Asian research.
- A maximum three-page proposal that uses the template included with the online application form to describe the intended research.
Click HERE to Apply
The purpose of us releasing these details was to respond to the questions you posed. So why wouldn’t you give to aid out another person? To make it easier for you to share this page with your loved ones and acquaintances, click the Share button.