Surrey Thames River Levels Inches, homes, businesses, and highways in Surrey have flooded as the Thames continues to rise, with water levels only inches below those witnessed ten years ago.
Almost the whole width of the river in Surrey is under warnings, including Chertsey, Walton, Sunbury, Molesey, and Egham.
Surrey Thames River Levels Inches Away From Floods
The Environment Agency said floods were comparable to those in 2013, but not likely to surpass the levels observed in 2014. One resident of Staines-upon-Thames stated, “It’s a repeat performance of 2014.”
A manhole cover is dangerous, Police in Runnymede have advised that the best way to go to and from Chertsey or Addlestone is currently via the M25 or Thorpe Lea Road, as all other routes are closed.
Officers posted on Facebook, “Coldharbour Lane is closed due to flooding.” The water is pouring through the service covers, which is extremely dangerous because it is only a matter of time before they emerge from their fixtures.
It has also been reported that 32 people were evacuated from Abbeyfields mobile home park in Thameside, Chertsey, in the early hours of Monday.
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service, who responded with police, reported that workers arrived to find fast-flowing, deep water flooding homes. Residents were relocated to alternative accommodations or a rest center.
Ian Swinglehurst of Staines reported that the river was around four inches (10cm) higher than in 2014, with water levels continuing to climb. The government offers regular updates on river, marine, groundwater, and rainfall levels.
Data From Tuesday Showed:
- At Chertsey Lock (downstream), the Thames was 4.5m – 10cm lower than the levels reported on February 11, 2014.
- Penton Hook (downstream) was 4.92m – 12cm lower than levels ten years earlier.
- Penton Hook (upstream) was 1.37 million, compared to 1.4 million in February 2014.
- Chertsey Lock (upstream) demonstrated a 16cm difference.
Mr Swinglehurst blamed growing river levels on runoff from farms and hills, as well as the Environment Agency’s use of the Jubilee River flood relief project, which diverts water from Berkshire and returns it to the Thames near Datchet.
Carl Douglas, whose boat-building firm at Laleham Reach was inundated, also blamed the Jubilee River, claiming floods occurred in 2003 and 2014 after it was put into service in 2002.
An Environment Agency representative stated, “It is not accurate that the Jubilee River causes rises in downstream water levels, putting those towns at risk.
“Following the 2003 storm, additional river modeling was done to re-examine any effects of the Jubilee River on downstream settlements.
“The results showed that there would be very little difference.” Mr Douglas stated that his workshop had been flooded four times in 20 years, and the water was now 10 inches deep.
He stated that when the waters passed, he would be left with oil, excrement, water, and filth. In Runnymede, the A308 between Egham and Windsor, as well as the Magna Carta meadow, flooded.
Michelle Maxwell-Roberts, who swam through waist-high water on the A308 to drop her children off at school, told BBC Radio Surrey, “We’ve lived here for 17 years. Fortunately, the water has never entered the house. “We are resilient.”
Tom Gray, who also waded through water with his family on the A308, stated, “Walking is the only option now. I’ve known the river for 35 years, and this is the third time we’ve crossed it.”
Staff from the flooded 205-room Runnymede Hotel on the riverbank had previously been transported to the location by boat.
According to a press release, the hotel said: “The safety and well-being of everyone at the hotel is our number one priority and steps have been taken to accommodate guests who’ve been impacted.”
Surrey County Council previously stated that it was collaborating with the Environment Agency and local councils to implement the planned River Thames Scheme, with statutory consultation scheduled for early 2024.
Residents told the BBC that the flood relief system has been discussed several times since the 1990s but has never been implemented. Ben Spencer, MP for Runnymede and Weybridge, stated that he has been advocating for the initiative to be implemented as quickly as possible.
“It is the biggest scheme the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs has ever done,” the minister stated. Residents of Chertsey, where the bridge is closed, said they couldn’t buy sandbags.
Runnymede councilor Sam Jenkins stated, “We have made a limited number of sandbags accessible at the council. These are limited in quantity.
“It is crucial to emphasize this because the council’s current approach prioritizes life over property. “If the Thames is still rising and you feel that your property is unsafe, my advice is to call the council’s emergency line.”