U.S. and UK Strike Houthi Targets in Yemen Again, Israel Continues Pounding Gaza

Targets in Yemen Again

Targets in Yemen Again, the United States and the United Kingdom struck dozens of targets in Yemen on Saturday in response to the Iran-backed Houthi group’s frequent attacks on vessels, which have disrupted global trade and endangered lives.

U.S. and UK Strike Houthi Targets in Yemen Again, Israel Continues Pounding Gaza

Targets in Yemen AgainIt is the third time that British and American forces have collaborated to target the Houthis, and the US has also conducted several air operations against them on its own, yet the Houthi group’s attacks continue.

The latest strikes hit “36 Houthi targets across 13 locations in Yemen in response to the Houthis’ continued attacks against international and commercial shipping as well as naval vessels transiting the Red Sea,” according to a statement from the United States, the United Kingdom, and other countries that supported the operation.

According to US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the strikes “are intended to further disrupt and degrade the capabilities of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia to conduct their reckless and destabilizing attacks.”

Since the Israel-Hamas confrontation began on October 7, 2023, the Houthis have launched over 40 attacks on Israel and Israeli-linked commercial ships in the Red Sea.

The Houthis said their attacks were in solidarity with the Palestinian people and demanded that Israel halt its military campaign and closure on Gaza.

The Houthi group, which controls Yemen’s vital province of Hodeidah on the Red Sea, has pledged to undertake additional strikes against Israel, US and UK commercial vessels, and navy ships in the region.

Houthi officials have stated that the US-UK air strikes on the group’s bases in northern Yemen will not discourage them from mounting further attacks on shipping lines.

Israel Bombards Gaza; Truce Talks Continue

Israel pressed ahead with its scorching Gaza assault on Saturday, raising worries of a push into a southern territory packed with displaced Palestinians, as Hamas claimed a truce accord was still out of reach. As gunfire continued, mediation efforts to end the nearly four-month battle gained traction, however, a Hamas leader in Lebanon, Osama Hamdan, claimed a proposed framework lacked some details.

Hamas needs more time to “announce our position,” Hamdan stated, “based on our desire to put an end to the aggression that our people are subjected to.”

Air strikes and tank fire rocked Khan Younis, the major city in southern Gaza and the target of Israel’s attack. Hundreds of thousands of Gaza’s 2.4 million displaced Palestinians have fled to Rafah throughout the conflict, with tents crowded along streets and in parks.

The city, which previously housed 200,000 people, now houses more than half of Gaza’s inhabitants, according to the United Nations.

Civilians who fled to Rafah have been pushed up against the Egyptian border, attempting to avoid areas of the city vulnerable to bombing and fighting in nearby Khan Younis.

“We are exhausted,” said displaced Gazan Mahmud Abu al-Shaar, calling for “a ceasefire so that we can return to our homes.”

Israel launched a massive military attack in Gaza, vowing to eradicate Hamas, killing at least 27,238 people, the majority of them women and children, according to the Hamas-ruled territory’s Health Ministry.

Leave a Reply